After earning a few stripes from the recent ordeal that is our family’s holiday photo , I thought I’d list a few things I’ve learned. For the next holiday.
- Get this done before Thanksgiving! Especially, when you need to send the cards to family and friends abroad. Plus, more options to pick a bright sunny day (natural light is a game changer).
- Get a professional photographer. This is a worthy investment if you want high quality photos.
- The second best thing to a professional photographer is the Photo with Santa at the mall. It’s less costly and you get a holiday-themed set.
- Or if you’re lucky, you can sweet talk a friend who has decent photography skills to do it for you.
- Plan ahead. For the outfit (themes and costumes, if you’re insanely ambitious). For the set/backdrop. Do you need to set up the tree? Do you need to sit down with the husband to manage his expectations and get him on board? Do you need a dress rehearsal to make sure all the kids are fine with the outfit?
- If, for some reason you end up with less than a week to send the cards, make New Year cards instead of Christmas. This way, even when the cards arrive past Christmas and even New Year, it doesn’t feel like you have sent them late. Right? Well, I will find out once our cards are in the hands of our loved ones.
- When the going gets tough, smile and remember, you are not alone. 😀